top of page
I am a tenacious and thorough reporter who is not intimidated by big projects or bored by routine hearings. One of my former editors observed that I "covered my beat like a blanket” because at the same time I was writing a story—or more—per day, I was able to develop valuable sources and convert tips into in-depth pieces.
I've covered education at every level--from Pre-K to College; I've covered criminal justice at every level--from juvenile court petitions to the U.S. Supreme Court; and I currently cover politics at every level--from the county liquor board to U.S. Congressional races.
I specialize in using public information laws to bring truth to power, and I've learned to tell stories in a variety of media--whether it's producing a weekly radio show, taking my own photographs, or appearing on television.
Design and editing: PhotoShop, InCopy, InDesign and Quark.
• Content management: Fatwire, Unisys, SaxoTech, Blox and others.
• Audio editing: GarageBand and Audacity.
Politics and government reporter
The Frederick News-Post
Nov. 2015 - present
• Cover county, state and federal government for a growing county with the second-largest city in the state of Maryland.
• Examine money in politics and scrutinized how campaign donations might influence lawmakers' decisions.
• File multiple stories each day on issues that impact residents of Frederick County, including the push to redraw congressional districts and reform the state's criminal justice system.
• Represent The Frederick News-Post in other media outlets, including on Maryland Public Television's “State Circle.”
Courts and legal affairs reporter
The Frederick News-Post
July 2012 - Nov. 2015
• Reported on all levels of local and state courts, as well as U.S. district and appellate courts.
• Compassionately covered issues inside and outside the courtroom, notably the emotional toll of drug abuse and the legal system's response.
• Brought public awareness to lawsuits against local governments and agencies with thorough coverage.
• Produced database projects on topics including stolen U.S. Marshals weapons to the use of wiretaps in county criminal investigations.
• Discussed Court of Appeals and other cases as a guest on the Baltimore NPR affiliate.
• Helped guide investigative and enterprise reporting as chairwoman of the newsroom's reporting and special projects committee.
State House reporter
The Gazette of Politics & Business
Jan. 2012 - July 2012
• Reported on the 2012 session of the Maryland General Assembly, and the special session which followed after lawmakers failed to reach a budget deal.
• Filed daily stories to web along with in-depth features for publication in weekly paper examining the General Assembly, the governor’s office and state agencies.
July 2010 - Jan. 2012
• Sought out and reported stories in the city of Gaithersburg as a beat reporter before being promoted to a county-wide criminal justice beat, where I reported on issues from breaking news to the confidential sanction of a county judge.
• Wrote several articles that were published in The Washington Post’s Montgomery County edition.
County government and education reporter
The Merced Sun-Star
Aug. 2008 to July 2010
• Reported on education issues from pre-kindergarten toddlers to Ph.D. students at the University of California Merced before being promoted to cover Merced County government.
• Researched and wrote several large projects on issues including medical disparities in California's Central Valley, state budget cuts to education, the emotional toll of foreclosure and childhood obesity.
• Collaborated with the Center for California Health Reporting on its first-ever joint reporting project, and with other McClatchy reporters on issues including the state's underfunded pension system.
• Co-hosted and co-produced “Off the 99,” a weekly radio show and podcast exploring current local issues.
M.S. in Journalism, 2008
Specialized coursework: covering conflicts, covering education, advanced photojournalism.
Published work: Chicago Tribune, District Administration magazine, Palm Beach Post, among others.
Activities: Elected secretary of the Society of Professional Journalists.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
B.A. in Political science, 2007
Specialized coursework: politics in developing countries, organizational psychology.
Activities: managing editor of The Daily Illini, chairwoman of the Illinois Board of Higher Education Student Advisory Committee, American Cancer Society volunteer.
Rock Valley College
A.A. in General studies, 2005
Specialized coursework: paralegal studies.
Activities: American Cancer Society, Illinois Community College Board Student Advisory Committee, Illinois Board of Higher Education Student Advisory Committee, Phi Theta Kappa chapter president and international officer candidate, Student Trustee, The Valley Forge student newspaper.
bottom of page